- 1/2 pkg (8 oz) bacon, chopped
- 3 lb beef roast, cubed
- 1 pkg (8 oz) whole mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs tapioca
- 1 cup pearl onions, or 1 onion, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Cook bacon in a large pot. Remove from pan when cooked. Drain most of the grease, leaving about 2 Tbs in the pot. Brown the beef cubes in the bacon drippings. Add mushrooms (quartered if they are large) and chopped onion (if you are using pearl onions, wait and add them with the potatoes later). Cook for about 5 minutes, or until onions and mushrooms just begin to brown.
- Add the wine and let wine reduce for 10-15 minutes, or until almost completely evaporated. Add cooked bacon, beef broth, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, pepper, salt, tapioca and pearl onions. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1- 1 ½ hours.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots and celery. Add additional water if stew is too thick. Cook until vegetables are tender. Taste and add additional salt, if necessary. Add tomatoes 5 minutes before serving. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and hot bread.
Source: No Empty Chairs
Easy Related Posts
Pork and Beef Adobo with Beef Liver
Ingredients: 1 kilo beef1 kilo pork1/2 kilo beef liver1 clove garlic, minced2 cup wateratchueteground black peppersalt ...read more
Ground Beef And Quail Eggs Recipe
INGREDIENTS: 500 g. of ground sirloin (ground lean pork would be more inexpensive and just ...read more
Making tapa from scratch is easy and delicious, your family will want to eat this ...read more
Skinny Salisbury Steak With Mushroom Gravy Recipe
Ingredients: 1 1/2 tsp oil 3/4 cup onions, minced 1 lbs 93% lean ground beef ...read more