Another popular Filipino dish commonly served on holidays and special occasions is morcon. This Filipino-style roulade consists of a slice of beef rolled around choice fillings such as cheese, eggs, carrots, pickles, bacon and sausages, and then cooked by braising method just like its European counterpart. The preparation includes pan-searing of the beef rolls on high heat to brown its surface and seal the flavors and simmered in low heat in a cooking liquid to achieve tenderness. Its braising liquid is usually a combination of stock and tomato sauce. Morcon is finished off with other flavorings to serve as sauce or gravy. The preparation may be time-consuming, but this will be so much worthy as you dig in to this dish. Taste it yourself as you try this recipe.
- 700g beef sirloin (sliced about 1/4 inch thick, you may request the butcher to do this for you)
- 4-6 pcs hotdogs
- 2 hard boiled eggs, quartered each
- 2-4 whole pickles
- 4 carrot sticks
- cheese slices (sticks)
- 200g tomato sauce
- 85g liver spread (1 small can)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- beef broth (or beef cube dissolved in about 500ml of water)
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple – for a twist!
- 2 bay leaves
- ground peppercorn , to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp calamansi juice
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- Marinate beef with calamansi and soy sauce at least 2 hrs.
- Remove beef from marinade. Place the meat in a flat surface, then layer the stuffing – hotdogs,carrots, eggs and pickles in one side. Roll the meat once, then layer with cheese sticks. Roll again.
- Secure the meat with a string. I made two rolls with the ingredients above, if you want a bigger and thicker rolls, you can make just one beef roll instead, or use about a kilo of beef (I used only 750g).
- Heat the oil in a pan. Brown the beef roll. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the tomato sauce, liver spread, crushed pineapple. Let it boil.
- Add the broth and bay leaves.
- Add the beef rolls, grated cheese and peppercorn. Cover and simmer for 1 to 2 hrs. I did not add salt since the cheese gave enough flavor. No need for cornstarch since the sauce is thick already. Reduce the sauce as preferred.
- When cooked, remove the rolls from the pan. Let it cool down for about 5 minutes, remove strings then slice. Serve in a plate with the sauce. Garnish.
Easy Related Posts
How to Cook Papaitan(Beef Tripes ) Recipe
https://youtu.be/kQkcCwwCTAw Ingredients: Beef tripes and beef trimmings (boiled) Slice Ginger, Chili and Bay leaf Slice Onion ...read more
Pork and Beef Adobo with Beef Liver
Ingredients: 1 kilo beef1 kilo pork1/2 kilo beef liver1 clove garlic, minced2 cup wateratchueteground black peppersalt ...read more
King Cut Ribeye Steak Recipe
INGREDIENTS: 4 tablespoons olive oil divided Sea Salt Cracked black pepper 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped ...read more
Making tapa from scratch is easy and delicious, your family will want to eat this ...read more