The real founder or, in this case, founders of the buko pie are the Pahud sisters, and their only shop called the ORIENT is in Los Baños, Laguna.
The idea for buko pie was born when the sisters planned to start their bakery. Since one of them has worked abroad as a housemaid in the United States and learned how to make apple pie, they wanted to offer this type of pastry in their bakery.
But due to a scant supply of apples in the country, however, they decided to take advantage of what is most abundant in their area, and that is coconuts.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 piece eggyolk
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice water
Buko Pie Filling:
- 4 cups coconut meat
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 300 ml. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- Buko Pie Cooking Instructions – How To Make Buko Pie:
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening using two knives or a pastry cutter.
- Combine the egg yolk, vinegar and water. After that, slowly add the liquid to the flour mixing until dough can be handled.
- Divide the dough into 2; one part slightly bigger than the other. Roll bigger dough to about 2 inches larger than a 16-inch pie plate.
- Fit dough into a pie plate, letting sides hang.
- Roll out remaining dough for the crust.
- Set it aside for a while.
- Combine filling ingredients in a thick saucepan.
- Cook and sti constantly to thicken. Cool then pour into prepared crust.
- Cover with top crust; flute or crimp edges together to seal.
- Bake for 1 – 1.5 hrs. at 425 degrees F.
Easy Related Posts
Easy Macapuno Tarts Recipe
Tarts are typically free-standing with firm pastry base consisting of dough, itself made of flour, ...read more
Buttered Shrimp Recipe
Butter is a much more delicious fat to use when cooking something as simple as ...read more
Chicken Adobo Sa Gata Recipe
Adobong Manok sa Gata is a version of Filipino Chicken Adobo that includes coconut milk. ...read more
Original style of Ilocos Empanada (Negosyo Recipe)
https://youtu.be/lzwS2exKiE4 Ingredients: Empanada Dough 2 cups of rice flour 1 cup water 2 tbsp atsuete seeds ...read more