The Filipino Style Egg Pie is classic Filipino favorite snack. One would usually see these in Pinoy bakeries and in select pasalubong shops. Its soft, sweet and ‘siksik’ filling is what makes the Egg Pie more appetizing and more delicious.
If you ever find yourself craving for Egg Pie, you don’t have to hit the streets to search for it. It’s very doable in the convenience of your home. Just follow this easy recipe where you’ll find all the ingredients needed as well as the step-by-step guide per part of the pie. Try making one now!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes and softened
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 4 large eggs and another 1 large egg with white and yolk separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh kalamansi or lemon juice
- 1 can condensed milk (14oz)
For the crust:
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Mix well. Add butter and mix thoroughly with other ingredients using a pastry mixer.
- Gradually add the cold water to the mixture. Continue mixing until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Gather and shape the dough into a large ball. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a clean flat surface sprinkled with flour, flatten the dough using a rolling pin into about ½ centimeter thick and wide enough to cover a 9″ pie pan/dish (I broke my pie dish so I just use a regular round baking pan).
- Arrange and press the flattened dough on the baking pan or pie dish. Use kitchen shears to trim the dough to about a half-inch overhang. Save the scraps. You can use those to bulk up thin areas of the crust when you’re fluting the edges.
- Crimp the edges either with a fork or by pinching around the edge with your fingers. I did the latter. Keep the dough in the refrigerator while making the filling.
For the filling:
- Heat the evaporated milk in the microwave oven for 1 minute.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine and whisk the 4 eggs and the separated egg yolk. Gradually add the condensed while whisking. Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice, and continue whisking until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the evaporated milk and mix well with other ingredients.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg white until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold the beaten egg white into the mixture. (The beaten egg white will give the top of the egg pie a brown color after baking.)
Baking the Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the filling on the refrigerated pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F then lower the heat to 325 degrees F and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the filling comes out clean.
- Remove the egg pie from oven and allow to cool down. Serve with your favorite drink either for dessert or snack.
Source : Pinay in Texas
Don’t forget to share this recipe to your family and friends!
Easy Related Posts
Macaroni Salad Recipe
https://youtu.be/nWpJ8kCqyaw Ingredients 1 cup raw macaroni pasta, cooked al dente 9 ounces chicken tenders, boiled and ...read more
Avocado Graham Float De Leche / Negosyo Recipe
https://youtu.be/WMYYgkoFi1Y Ingredients: Avocado Nestle cream Small can Condensed Milk Crushed Graham Graham crackers. Leche flan Procedures: Prepare all the ingredients. Mix the nestle cream and ...read more
How to Make Coffee Pastillas / Negosyo Recipe
https://youtu.be/bpfCzdZpbz8 Ingredients: 1 cup of powdered milk 2 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp powdered sugar 2 tbsp condensed milk 1 tbsp. coffee ...read more
How to Make Mango Graham Ice Candy / Negosyo Recipe
https://youtu.be/ks08TsQVGEg Ingredients: 2 pieces Mango ½ kilo Sugar Mango Condensed Milk Evaporated Milk ¼ kilo Cornstarch 1 cup Water Graham Crushed Graham Crackers 2 Liters ...read more