2 lb pork belly
for the marinade:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
for the spice rub:
- 2-3 tbsp five spice powder
for the honey sriracha glaze:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water.
- The night before, score the pork belly skin, careful not to cut into the meat, but you do want to cut deeply into the skin. The skin is scored by slicing lines diagonally across, about 1 inch apart, and then slicing lines diagonally the opposite way (see photo above). Rub spice powder onto skin (about 1-2 tbsp), making sure to rub on the surface and the crevices. In a bowl, mix marinade ingredients. Using a pan that just fits the pork belly, pour in the marinade and then put in the pork belly. You only want the marinade to cover the meat and not touch the skin.
- Place in fridge, uncovered, overnight, so that the skin is able to dry out.
- On the day of cooking, preheat oven to 375F. Completely line a roasting pan with foil for easier clean-up. Pour water in about 1/2 in deep. Rub an additional 1 tbsp of spice powder onto pork belly skin. Place a rack in the roasting pan and put pork belly on top, making sure it doesn’t touch the water. Gently use additional foil to tent the top of the pork belly. Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes until meat is finished cooking.
- Remove pork belly from oven and remove foil tent. If your pork belly is uneven in height, prop something under the lower parts so that it is an even height to help the pork belly skin crisp evenly. Turn heat up to 425F and place pork belly back into oven. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until all the skin blisters. Watch carefully to make sure skin does not burn and overcook. The skin needs to blister to stay crunchy.
- If desired, make and brush skin with glaze before serving. The pork belly is flavorful on its own as well. The glaze adds some extra flavor to the skin, but it also overpowers the subtle meat flavor so the meat might taste a little bland, and you may want to reserve some glaze for dipping if you use the glaze. To make glaze, add honey, soy sauce and sriracha to a small saucepan and bring to a low boil. Completely dissolve cornstarch in water in a small bowl and then add to saucepan. Keep the glaze at a low boil and stir until sauce thickens.
Easy Related Posts
PPT (Pork, Potato And Tomato) Recipe
Are you looking for an easy weeknight dinner ideas? Pork and Potato stew is a ...read more
Nilagang Tinolang Manok
https://youtu.be/HlgPpNB3VHk Ingredients: Manok Papaya or Sayote Patatas Pechay Malunggay Patis Bawang Sibuyas Asin, Paminta at magic ...read more
Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe
https://youtu.be/Z2cH4bmE-os Ingredients ½ kg ground pork 1 pc carrot 1 pc onion diced 5 cloves garlic ...read more
How to Make Marikina Everlasting/Hardinera (Marikina Style Meatloaf)
https://youtu.be/zz9pmyOpV3Y Ingredients 2 tablespoons canola oil 3 hot dogs, sliced thinly 1 onion, peeled and chopped ...read more