- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine sugar, cream, and butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Allow mixture to simmer until it turns deep amber in color. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract
- Return to heat and mix until all the ingredients are combined and mixture is smooth.
- Transfer caramel sauce to a heatproof container and cook for a few minutes before serving or refrigerating. Caramel sauce can be served warm or cold and will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.