Espasol is a Filipino rice cake that originated from the province of Laguna. It comes in a variety of forms, but is generally distinguished as a sweet, cylindrical delicacy dusted with rice flour and wrapped in paper or banana leaves.
Usually sold in the streets or made at home for the next town fiesta or family merienda, espasol is a dish you can never get enough of. So instead of waiting for your favourite manlalako, why not head to your kitchen and start with this quick and easy Espasol recipe!
- 3 1/2 cups toasted glutinous rice flour, reserving 1/2 cup for rolling
- 2 cups vanilla soy milk (original recipe called for coconut milk)
- 1 cup agave nectar (original recipe called for 2 cups sugar!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- Heat milk in a saucepan until boiling. Add agave nectar (or sugar if that is what you’re using), vanilla extract, salt, shredded coconut and lemon zest and stir until combined.
- Slowly add toasted glutinous rice flour, stirring to avoid clumps. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring and cooking until thick and coming off the sides of the saucepan. I used a non-stick pan so mine took only 10 minutes. This part can take as long as 1 hour.
- Remove from heat. Transfer cake onto rice flour dusted work surface and let cool to room temperature.
- Divide in equal portions, rolling on the flour to form cylinders. Alternatively, you can cut using a cookie cutter instead.
- Wrap in paper or banana leaves until ready to eat.
Source : cafenilson
Easy Related Posts
Original style of Ilocos Empanada (Negosyo Recipe)
https://youtu.be/lzwS2exKiE4 Ingredients: Empanada Dough 2 cups of rice flour 1 cup water 2 tbsp atsuete seeds ...read more
Cheesy Pandesal Recipe
https://youtu.be/8-GKJmmLCpA Ingredients: 4 cups of Flour Cheese for fillings ¼ cup of butter 2 pcs. Eggs ...read more
How to Make PUTONG BIGAS
https://youtu.be/Shn6SqCqx5k INGREDIENTS: 4 cups of rice flour 1 and 1/2 cups of white sugar 2 tsp ...read more
How to Make Kalabasa Dunot Recipe (Healthy Meryenda)
https://youtu.be/LFpiJtsZ1zk Ingredients: ½ whole slice of Kalabasa 1 cup of Powder milk 1 cup Sugar 2 ...read more