This well-known institution in the University of the Philippines, Diliman, has been catering to hungry students and faculty and curious visitors alike, satisfying tummies with its incredible savory-sweet tapa flakes which are utterly tender to the bite and mix readily with a hot plateful of garlic rice and a sunny-side up egg.
The secret is really in the combination of brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper which you boil the sirloin in before you serve it—it’s that mixture which provides the flavorful hit that has you grabbing the vinegar bottle and wondering if there’s enough for a second helping of this addictive treat. Perfect at any time of the day with some sliced tomatoes on the side, there’s a reason why this university stall eventually expanded to cater to more customers—its tapsilog is so good that you can eat it every day.
- 500 g beef sirloin tapa cut, slice into 1 cm strips against the grain
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oil
- 2-4 cups water
- garlic rice, to serve
- sunny side up egg, to serve
- tomato wedges, to serve
- Boil together beef, sugar, garlic powder, pepper, oil and water.
- Boil until beef is tender and easily pulls apart.
- Once tender, drain from liquid and flake/ shred the meat. Leave the liquid in the same pan.
- After shredding meat, put back in liquid and continue cooking until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Turn off fire and set aside.
- Put rice on plate, top with shredded beef.
- Serve with fried egg and tomato wedge on the side.
Easy Related Posts
How to Cook Papaitan(Beef Tripes ) Recipe
https://youtu.be/kQkcCwwCTAw Ingredients: Beef tripes and beef trimmings (boiled) Slice Ginger, Chili and Bay leaf Slice Onion ...read more
Pork and Beef Adobo with Beef Liver
Ingredients: 1 kilo beef1 kilo pork1/2 kilo beef liver1 clove garlic, minced2 cup wateratchueteground black peppersalt ...read more
King Cut Ribeye Steak Recipe
INGREDIENTS: 4 tablespoons olive oil divided Sea Salt Cracked black pepper 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped ...read more
Making tapa from scratch is easy and delicious, your family will want to eat this ...read more