A familiar dish because of its popularity in local Chinese restaurants, this healthy viand combines deep-fried, firm tofu with soft chunks of breaded fish fillet in a savory and sweet sauce enriched with oyster sauce, sugar and the sticky richness of hoisin to flavor all the elements in it. The salted tausi beans add a nutty texture and extra flavor to this recipe, which also includes plenty of vegetables for those who are concerned about getting their five servings a day! Bell peppers, carrots, celery and onions all add brightness and a crisp balance to the thick sauce in this dish. This is absolutely perfect with a hot bowl of rice and a pair of chopsticks. Why go out to a restaurant when you can replicate this in your kitchen with ease? Be careful with the hoisin sauce—a little goes a long way!
- 1 kilo fish fillet, cut into serving pieces
- 4 cakes tokwa, tofu, cut into serving pieces
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 head garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium size onion, chopped
- 2 pieces red and green bell pepper, cut into wedges
- 1 small can tausi, salted beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small size carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper
- Dust fish cube with salt an pepper let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to marinate, put flour in a bowl and dip each fish to coat with the flour.
- In a skillet deep fry fish in batches for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, keep aside.
- In same skillet deep fry tofu for 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown, keep aside.
- In a wok sauté garlic and onion, add in tausi and stir cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add in 2 cups 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Now add in the vegetables, sugar, hoisin and oyster sauce, cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Thickened sauce with cornstarch diluted in 1/2 cup of water.
- Add in fish and tofu and stir cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce is infused to the fish and tofu.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Easy Related Posts
Adobong Bangus (Milkfish)
Adobong Bangus – Adobo (a Filipino dish simmered in vinegar and soy sauce) is a ...read more
Buttered Shrimp Recipe
Butter is a much more delicious fat to use when cooking something as simple as ...read more
Butter Garlic Spicy Squid Recipe
https://youtu.be/i0ZbV7SeCO0 Ingredients 1/2 kg squid (clean and cut) 100 grams. Butter 2 tbsp tomato paste ¼ ...read more
Sweet N Sour Fish Fillet
https://youtu.be/8k9GKvEPAaM Ingredients: 1kg Fish Fillet 1 cup flour 4 tbsp cassava flour oil for frying and ...read more