If you’ve been to Ilocos, you’ve probably tried their specialties like the Empanada, Longganisa, Tinubong, and of course, the Bagnet! Bagnet is the Ilocano version of a deep fried pork belly dish. Because of its crunchy goodness, it has become a popular must-try dish and a staple pasalubong of people visiting the north.
We don’t have to travel all the way up to Ilocos or go to an Ilocano restaurant in Manila to have Bagnet. With this easy recipe, you’ll know the ingredients and the way Ilocanos cook their Bagnet, and try to do it at the convenience of your home! Try it today!
- 1.5 kilo pork liempo (pork belly), whole
- 1/2 head garlic
- 1 tsp. peppercorns
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 bay leaves
- Cooking oil for frying
- 1/4 cup patis
- Sukang Ilocos for serving
- rice for serving
- tomatoes and red onions for garnish
- Add enough water to cover the pork belly
- Add in salt, peppercorns, garlic, bay leaves
- Cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for 45minutes to 1 hour or until pork is tender.
- Remove from the pot and place in a colander and let sit for a while so the liquid will drain. Prick the skin many times using fork then dry with paper towels if necessary. Brush lightly with patis. Keep refrigerated for several hours.
- In a large frying pan (kawali), heat enough cooking oil and deep fry pork belly at low heat for 30-45 minutes or until the pork turns brown. When the skin side is up, laddle cold water onto the skin.
- Remove pork belly from the kawali and drain oil in a colander or paper towels, allow to cool completely.
- Chop Bagnet to serving pieces and serve immediately with rice, Sukang Ilocos or tomatoes or onions.
Don’t forget to share this recipe to your family and friends!
Easy Related Posts
PPT (Pork, Potato And Tomato) Recipe
Are you looking for an easy weeknight dinner ideas? Pork and Potato stew is a ...read more
Nilagang Tinolang Manok
https://youtu.be/HlgPpNB3VHk Ingredients: Manok Papaya or Sayote Patatas Pechay Malunggay Patis Bawang Sibuyas Asin, Paminta at magic ...read more
Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe
https://youtu.be/Z2cH4bmE-os Ingredients ½ kg ground pork 1 pc carrot 1 pc onion diced 5 cloves garlic ...read more
How to Make Marikina Everlasting/Hardinera (Marikina Style Meatloaf)
https://youtu.be/zz9pmyOpV3Y Ingredients 2 tablespoons canola oil 3 hot dogs, sliced thinly 1 onion, peeled and chopped ...read more