There are lots of Filipinos who love kimchi even though it is originally a Korean food. This kind of dish is a fermented vegetables, the most common of which are napa cabbage and daikon radish. Commonly, kimchi is used as side dish to different meal, but versatility of kimchi makes it great to use in everyday cooking. However, always remember that kimchi needs time to ferment, so we recommend starting a batch about a week before you plan to use it. Its chili flavor is because of Korean red pepper powder or kochukaru is what gives kimchee its spiciness. the authentic kimchi uses Korean salted shrimp are very small, naturally fermented shrimp that impart authentic flavor to kimchi. They are sold in jars and can be found in the refrigerator case of Korean markets.
- 1 pc Napa cabbage
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 200 g daikon radish, cut into matchsticks
- 4 stalks spring onions, sliced
- ⅓ cup Korean red pepper powder
- 1½ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 1 thumb sized fresh ginger, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Chop cabbage into 2 inch piece sections then place in a very large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and toss until salt is distributed evenly.
- Pour enough water to cover everything then cover with cling wrap then set it aside in room temperature for 24 hours.
- Drain cabbage then rinse it with cold water, gently squeeze the cabbage to remove excess liquid. Set aside then place in a separate bowl.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in large bowl and stir well to combine then add the cabbage and mix using your hands. Make sure cabbage is well coated with the mixture.
- Place in a large jar enough to hold everything then tightly then cover it. Set it aside in a cool dark place for 24 hours.
- Open jar to let the gasses out then seal it again then refrigerate for at least 1 week.
Easy Related Posts
Ginisang Sayote Recipe
https://youtu.be/hjAd55MrcEc Ingredients 2 pcs sayote ( julienne cut) 1 pc small carrot ( julienne cut) 2 ...read more
Stir Fry Okra with Salted Eggs Recipe
https://youtu.be/by1ND-ViVuw Ingredients 3 bundle of okra 1 salted egg 3 clove garlic ½ tsp. Salt and ...read more
Potato Salad Recipe
https://youtu.be/MqplGPOIf3k Ingredients Homemade Mayo Mustard Dressing (see recipes) ½ kg Potato (cut into bite size and ...read more
How to Make HOMEMADE Potato Mojos ala SHAKEYS MOJOS
https://youtu.be/zRi1MFbyYqU Ingredients 3 pcs Potato ( carefully wash and cut 1 inch thickness) 1½ pack of ...read more