This dish is a popular mainstay in Filipino food gatherings and in this Pinoy’s answer to eggrolls, spring roll wrappers are filled with a mixture of ground chicken or pork, chopped vegetables such as carrots, onions and jicama, and occasionally, minced shrimp. While on this version of recipe minced garlic is used to heighten the flavor, also, with chopped green onions for color, and water chestnuts for texture. This meat-filled spring rolls are very satisfying especially if you are looking for an crunchy, fried and meaty goody. Lumpia shanghai is perfect for hurried lunches or surprise visits, keep a ready to fry on your fridge and your save from long time cooking.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package spring roll wrappers
- 1 1/2 quarts oil for frying
- In a Large bowl, combine ground pork, ground beef, onion, and carrot. Make sure to completely mix everything. I suggest getting down and dirty and use your hands. Knead the meat in the bowl if you must. Graduallyblend in the soy sauce , black pepper, garlic powder, and salt until allingredients areevenly distributed.
- Lay out a few wrappers at a time on a flat surface, and place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in a line down the center of the wrapper. Make sure the filling is no thicker than your thumb, or the wrapper will cook faster than the meat. Take the bottom and top edges of the wrapper and fold them towards the center. Take the left and right sides, and fold them towards the center. Moisten the last edge of the wrapper to seal. Now repeat using the rest of the wrappers, and have hubby or the kids help you out.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or heavy skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry 3 or 4 lumpia at a time. Fry for about 3 or 4 minutes, turning once. Lumpia are cooked through when they float, and the wrapper is golden brown. Cut in half, or serve as is with dipping sauce. We like sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce with lemon, or banana ketchup.