- 1 piece fully cleaned pig’s front hock – with still a little of trotters attached but hooves cut off (USA and Canadian front hocks command higher prices than back for they are meatier)
ANTI-FOUL SMELL BOILING SOLUTION:
- Enough tap water to cover entire hock in a casserole.
- 20 ml. any red wine
- 3 grams salt dissolved well
PRESSURE COOKER SOLUTION:
- Enough tap water to cover pre-boiled hock.
- 40 ml. soy sauce
- 3 grams salt
- 20 grams brown sugar
- 3 grams crushed black pepper
- 6 cloves crushed garlic
- 5 pieces star anise
- 2 pieces sliced “labuyo” (bird’s eye chilies)
OVEN TOASTER’S SEARING MIX:
- 15 ml. palm oil (or palm olein)
- 6 cloves crushed garlic, finely chopped
FINAL SAUCE MIX:
- 200 ml. of left over Pressure Cooker Solution
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- 5 pieces sliced shiitake mushrooms soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 10 grams corn starch dissolved in
- 30 ml. water (slurry-thickener)
- 3 grams chili powder (NOT chili pepper powder. Chili powder contains 5 or more spice-herb combination plus salt while Chili Pepper Powder is just the powder presentation of that particular chili pepper).
- 20 ml. soy sauce
- 15 grams brown sugar
- Bring to boil your well blended anti-foul smell boiling solution
- Once boiling starts, set timer and boil for 20 minutes. Discard water. Set aside hock.
- In pressure cooker, add in ALL ingredients tumble thoroughly until no lumps are evident.
- Lay pre-boiled hock, cover, attach nozzle and start under medium heat. When whistling starts, pressure cook for 30 minutes.
- Done…subject pressure cooker to running tap water, when whistling stops slowly remove nozzle-open cooker.
- Remove hock set aside including pressure cooker solution.
- Rub palm oil of the oven toaster’s searing mix unto all sides of hock. Rub crushed garlic as well. Lay unto toaster pan.
- Set toaster to high temp, ensuring top heating rod is in fiery-red state, wedge toaster pan in topmost slot for quick searing. Toast for 10 minutes each side.
- While you are on this searing stage, in a pan, heat the 200 ml. leftover pressure cooker solution.
- Add in sliced carrots, drained shiitake mushrooms, chili powder, soy sauce and brown sugar. Boil for 2 minutes.
- While boiling pour in slurry and stirring constantly, continue for few seconds until sauce thickens. Make your desired adjustments on saltiness & sweetness level, should you wish.
- Lay seared hock unto plate and pour in your sauce. Garnish. Serve. Watch your family’s happy smiles.
Recipe by J. Dante S. Morados
Easy Related Posts
PPT (Pork, Potato And Tomato) Recipe
Are you looking for an easy weeknight dinner ideas? Pork and Potato stew is a ...read more
Nilagang Tinolang Manok
https://youtu.be/HlgPpNB3VHk Ingredients: Manok Papaya or Sayote Patatas Pechay Malunggay Patis Bawang Sibuyas Asin, Paminta at magic ...read more
Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe
https://youtu.be/Z2cH4bmE-os Ingredients ½ kg ground pork 1 pc carrot 1 pc onion diced 5 cloves garlic ...read more
How to Make Marikina Everlasting/Hardinera (Marikina Style Meatloaf)
https://youtu.be/zz9pmyOpV3Y Ingredients 2 tablespoons canola oil 3 hot dogs, sliced thinly 1 onion, peeled and chopped ...read more