- ½ kg freshwater shrimp, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- meat of 4 coconuts, grated
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- a few pieces of siling labuyo
- 20 to 25 fresh gabi leaves (should be intact with no holes)
- kitchen string to tie each pinangat
- 6-8 stalks of tanglad (lower white portions only), smashed
- 3 to 4 cups thin coconut milk
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks tanglad (lower white stalks), smashedsalt and pepper
- 3 to 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- Combine the shrimp, grated coconut, onion, ginger, garlic and siling labuyo and chop them together using a large knife or cleaver until the mixture looks like cornmeal. Wrap 2 to 3 tablespoons of the mixture in two (overlapping) gabi leaves and tie each with a coconut midrib or kitchen string.
- Line a heavy-bottom pot with the smashed tanglad and arrange the pinangat pieces on top. Pour the thin coconut milk over the pinangat.
- Cover the pot and simmer over low heat, shaking it once in a while to prevent burning. The pinangat is done when the gabi leaves are already soft or when all of the thin coconut milk has evaporated.
- While the pinangat is cooking, boil in a separate saucepan the thickcoconut cream, garlic, shallots and tanglad. Season with salt and simmer until the mixture thickens. Sprinkle the spring onions on top and remove from heat. To serve, arrange the pinangat in a plate and top with the sauce.
Easy Related Posts
Adobong Bangus (Milkfish)
Adobong Bangus – Adobo (a Filipino dish simmered in vinegar and soy sauce) is a ...read more
Buttered Shrimp Recipe
Butter is a much more delicious fat to use when cooking something as simple as ...read more
Butter Garlic Spicy Squid Recipe
https://youtu.be/i0ZbV7SeCO0 Ingredients 1/2 kg squid (clean and cut) 100 grams. Butter 2 tbsp tomato paste ¼ ...read more
Sweet N Sour Fish Fillet
https://youtu.be/8k9GKvEPAaM Ingredients: 1kg Fish Fillet 1 cup flour 4 tbsp cassava flour oil for frying and ...read more