- 1 kilo fully cleaned chicken, neck, feet & innards removed
- and, if possible, skin still intact
- 2-3 kilos rough sea salt (steaming pan dependent)
- 2 packets of Knorr or Maggi “Sinigang Mix” (tamarind soup base)
- 1 small sliced carrot
- 1 small sliced cucumber
- 1 small bunch onion leaves or celery stalks (optional)
- 1 small cut of ginger, de-skinned, grated
- 20 ml. EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 40 ml. soy sauce
- 10 ml. calamansi juice
- 10 grams “chili-garlic sauce” (optional)
- (for chili-garlic recipe click here)
- Covering all parts inside and outside, rub chicken with “Sinigang Mix”. Set aside.
- In suitable pan, pour in salt and make at least 2 inches thick layer at the bottom.
- Sit in chicken making sure not a part of it touches the sides of pan. (failing which, burning occurs). Use its neck or feet as “kalso” (wedge thing) under it to ensure chicken sits upwards.
- Heat pan at medium temp and “steam” chicken for no more than 20 minutes (for very juicy inside) or up to 25 minutes (for just right medium well state).
- Steaming longer will render dryness to poultry.
- While waiting heat EVOO, pour in grated ginger and heat for 1 minute. Set aside.
- And now… oh WOW, your chicken “steamed via bed of salt” is done.
- Mix in “calamansi juice”, soy sauce and “chili-garlic sauce” for dip or grated ginger with soy sauce or whatever… it’s your rule…your wild…
- Slice, garnish and serve your very own style of better than Hainanese poultry.
Don’t worry about your pan. Just pour in half pan tap water.
Let sit overnight. Post cleaning, it will again be
“spick and span”.
Recipe Submitted by Mr. Jose Dante S. Morados. Visit his blog at This Gramp is a Food Critic
Easy Related Posts
Chicken Adobo Sa Gata Recipe
Adobong Manok sa Gata is a version of Filipino Chicken Adobo that includes coconut milk. ...read more
Homemade Max Style Fried Chicken
https://youtu.be/RFNTWQcDjU0 Ingredients: 1 whole of Chicken 10 pcs. Calamansi 5 stem of Lemon grass 1 pc ...read more
https://youtu.be/r3RBrnSQ80Y Ingredients. Chicken wings cut into half. Flour for breadings 2 pcs calamansi 1 tbsp salt ...read more
How to Cook Original Filipino Chicken Adobo without Vinegar
https://youtu.be/7MwjGM0SpXw Ingredients ½ kilo of chicken ¼ cup soy sauce 3 pcs. Calamansi juice ½ cup ...read more