Also known as “braised pork belly” and one of the favorite comfort food of every Filipino household. It is popular everywhere in the country, however there are different versions and names depending on where it was made. The tenderness of the meat, the sweet and salty taste, and the spices really made the dish a hit that became favorites of many. Humba is similar to adobo that has a lot soy sauce, the only difference is that humba balanced the saltiness of the soy sauce with sugar and on some, with bananas. Make this recipe the next time you and your friends or family have salo-salo or a get together. Surely they will love it especially the kids who love sweets. This recipe may surprise a little as this includes potato and hard-boiled eggs along with it. But will make your humba distinctive from anyone’s recipe. The two ingredients add more flavor to the dish, making it rich and savory.
- 1/2 kilo pork belly, cut in serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion; chopped
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup rice water
- 1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
(or whole peppercorn)
- 2 tablespoons salted black beans (tausi)
- 1/2 cup dried banana blossoms
- Cooking oil
- Marinate pork in soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, and pepper for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Sauté garlic and onion.
- Add pork from the marinade.
- Stir fry for few minutes until pork starts to render its oily fat.
- Add rice water and marinade. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium fire.
- Stew until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add brown sugar stirring once in a while. Simmer until an oily sauce consistency is achieved.
- Balance seasoning with soy sauce, vinegar, or sugar according to your taste. Serve hot!
Easy Related Posts
Nilagang Tinolang Manok
https://youtu.be/HlgPpNB3VHk Ingredients: Manok Papaya or Sayote Patatas Pechay Malunggay Patis Bawang Sibuyas Asin, Paminta at magic ...read more
Pork Pata Kare – Kare Recipe
https://youtu.be/h_oK-K_G6JI Ingredients 1 whole pork pata 1 pc. puso ng saging 2 bunches pechay 12 pcs. ...read more
How to Make Marikina Everlasting/Hardinera (Marikina Style Meatloaf)
https://youtu.be/zz9pmyOpV3Y Ingredients 2 tablespoons canola oil 3 hot dogs, sliced thinly 1 onion, peeled and chopped ...read more
Sizzling Crispy Pork Sisig
https://youtu.be/2yfF_xdcPQ0 Ingredients ½ kilo Pork Face ( boiled and grilled) 1 pc red chili (labuyo) 1 ...read more