- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1 cup green pepper (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 pound okra (trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 4 cups shrimp stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp (shelled and deveined, save those shells for shrimp stock)
- 1 bunch green onions (sliced)
- 1 handful parsley (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, sprinkle in the flour while mixing and simmer until it turns a dark brown, about 10-20 minutes.
- Add the onions, celery and green pepper and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the okra and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp stock, tomatoes, paprika, cayenne, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 1-3 hours.
- Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with rice and garnish with green onions and parsley.
Slow Cooker: Implement step 1, optionally implement steps 2-4, place everything except the shrimp, green onions and parsley in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the shrimp and cooking for another 10 minutes.
Source: Closet Cook
Easy Related Posts
Adobong Bangus (Milkfish)
Adobong Bangus – Adobo (a Filipino dish simmered in vinegar and soy sauce) is a ...read more
Buttered Shrimp Recipe
Butter is a much more delicious fat to use when cooking something as simple as ...read more
Butter Garlic Spicy Squid Recipe
https://youtu.be/i0ZbV7SeCO0 Ingredients 1/2 kg squid (clean and cut) 100 grams. Butter 2 tbsp tomato paste ¼ ...read more
Sweet N Sour Fish Fillet
https://youtu.be/8k9GKvEPAaM Ingredients: 1kg Fish Fillet 1 cup flour 4 tbsp cassava flour oil for frying and ...read more