If you’re looking for the comforting taste of Pinoy home cooking, what could be more welcome than a hot cupful of sinigang broth? The salty, sour soup that warms even the corners of the most exhausted heart is a welcome addition to any table, and this healthy recipe makes use of plump, sweet shrimp to add protein to this classic Filipino dish.
The cooking time in here ensures that the kangkong and the string beans will still maintain a bit of their crunch, making a pleasant contrast of fresh tastes and textures that will ensure that you won’t tire of this viand. Flavored with the tartness of a tamarind soup base, with spice levels that you can easily adjust by adding more peppers to simmer or even throwing in a dash of hot sauce, this recipe is a cure for the blues or anything that ails you!
Sinigang na Hipon sa Sampaloc or Filipino Shrimp Soup in tamarind broth is a quick and easy soup dish that you can prepare for lunch or dinner. This dish is quite flexible with the vegetable ingredients because you can mix and match your preferred sinigang veggies and you can also add some long green chili or finger pepper to make it bit spicy.
- 1 1/2 lb shrimp (with head)
- 1 bunch water spinach (kangkong), cut in 3 inch length
- 1 cup string beans (sitaw), cut in 2 inch length
- 2 pieces medium-sized tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 8 cups water
- 1 pack sinigang mix (tamarind soup base mix), about 1.4 ounce
- 2 pieces banana pepper (or long green pepper)
- Pour the water in a large cooking pot and bring to a boil
- Add onions and tomatoes and cook until texture becomes soft
- Put-in the sinigang mix and simmer for 2 minutes
- Add the banana pepper and string beans and simmer for 3 minutes
- Add the shrimps and fish sauce then simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the water spinach, turn the heat off, and cover the pot. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Easy Related Posts
Adobong Bangus (Milkfish)
Adobong Bangus – Adobo (a Filipino dish simmered in vinegar and soy sauce) is a ...read more
Buttered Shrimp Recipe
Butter is a much more delicious fat to use when cooking something as simple as ...read more
Butter Garlic Spicy Squid Recipe
https://youtu.be/i0ZbV7SeCO0 Ingredients 1/2 kg squid (clean and cut) 100 grams. Butter 2 tbsp tomato paste ¼ ...read more
Sweet N Sour Fish Fillet
https://youtu.be/8k9GKvEPAaM Ingredients: 1kg Fish Fillet 1 cup flour 4 tbsp cassava flour oil for frying and ...read more