Filipinos love desserts as they love to eat. Crema de Fruta is one of those commonly prepared in any occasion or even on those simple meals. Usually, it is baked in an oven and consists of various layers of fruit cocktail, gelatin, and cream. But, in this version, the recipe has substituted graham crackers for sponge cake to eliminate the need of baking. If you prefer some fruits that is out of the list in this recipe, you can always use different fruit depending on your taste and the availability of it. Fresh fruit will be your success to an excellent outcome and tastier dish as with any recipe. Also, adding jello is optional. Remember that if you add jello to your cake, make it sure to let it subside in temperature first before adding it because hot mixtures might dissolve the graham crackers easily and make them mushy.
- 1 large can (550 g) fruit cocktail. Drain and reserve the juice
- 2 packs (200 g) graham crackers
- 2 packs whipping cream or all purpose cream
- 1 can (300 ml) condensed milk
- 1 pouch unflavored gelatin powder (optional)
- Pour heavy whipping cream and condensed milk in a mixing bowl. Whisk well until well combined.
- In large square container or tray, arrange graham crackers. Spread and cover them with cream and top with fruit cocktail; reserve the other half can of fruit cocktail for another layer. Repeat the procedure according to layer preferences.
- For additional toppings, dissolved gelatin powder in cold water. Simmer on medium heat, and add the fruit cocktail syrup. Stir occasionally until mixture boils. Let it cool for a few minutes in the fridge until start to thickens. This step is optional, you can make this without gelatin.
- Pour the gelatin mixture over the graham crackers and fruit. Put in fridge, chill and serve. Enjoy!