Annona muricata is commonly called Guyabano and in some local areas it has its own name such as guavano, graviola, guanabana, soursop, mullaathaa, hanumanfal or pawpaw and is widely cultivated around the world.
The evergreen tree actually bears a large edible fruit covered with soft spines that taste sweet and sour. While the fruit is favored by many, it’s leaves are also favored by many as one of the powerful herbal medicines.
Guyabano is known to be the wonder herb as it treats and cures pain, viruses, diseases and other various type of health problems.
Guyabano leaves are valued for medicinal properties due to its presence of a large number of nutrients and active compounds. The leaves contain a high amount of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B, Vitamin C, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, calcium, fiber, phosphorus, zinc, copper, manganese, and pantothenic acid. It also has some active properties like anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antiviral, antioxidants and many more.
The most popular and easiest way to get the benefits of guyabano leaves is by boiling them and drinking them as a tea. You can adjust the leaves you wanted to heat and may add those leaves in a cup instead of disregarding them. It’s best to drink it hot but you can still drink the tea even if it’s cold but not after eight hours from the moment it sets since the benefits will subside thereafter.
If you’re having a hard time looking for a fresh leaf to boil, there are some capsules and extracts of guyabano available in the market.
Here is the list of health benefits that you can get it Guyabano:
- Treats Liver Damage – regular consumption of guyabano leaves extract helps increase the levels of antioxidants in your blood and can help reduce liver damage by demonstrating a beneficial protective effect on hepatic tissue.
- Treats Diseases – the guyabano leaf tea contains a number of active compounds which inhibit the growth of diseased cells and is known to be helpful in preventing and treating diseases such as breast disease, prostate disease, colon disease, liver disease and many more. The compounds present in guyabano leaf tea are 10,000 times stronger and more effective than chemotherapies.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health – the guyabano leaf tea is known to be the powerful herbal drink that boost the cardiovascular system by strengthening and protecting it to reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks.
- Lowers Level of Blood Sugar – the guyabano leaf tea is known to be used as the ‘herbal medication for diabetes’ for its effectivity in lowering the levels of blood sugar.
- Lowers Blood Pressure – guyabano leaf tea has a hypotensive ability that can helps reduce blood pressure and can helps uncontrolled blood pressure that may increase the risk of heart diseases, diabetes and strokes.
- Treats Depression – guyabano leaf tea contains a three types of alkaloids (annonaine, asimilobine and nornuciferine) that has a potential to alleviate depression by stimulating serotonin (causes a feeling of happiness) receptors. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that alleviates stress and anxiety due to its calming and sedative effects.
- Treats Respiratory Problems – guyabano leaf tea is one of the most powerful remedies in treating respiratory problems such as asthma, cough and flu symptoms. The tea act as an expectorant that clears out the phlegm and mucus along the airways as well as eradicating viruses and soothing the irritation to help you speed up your recovery.
- Boosts Immune System – sufficient consumption of guyabano leaf tea improves your immune system. It contains a lot of Vitamin C and boosted antioxidants that will help you improve the protection from the bad effect of free radicals and various diseases.
- Prevents Gastrointestinal Problems – guyabano leaf tea contains diuretic properties and anti-inflammatory properties, thus regular intake will help you eradicate those toxins and any harmful chemical substances as well as helping you to avoid various gastrointestinal problems such as bloating, diarrhea, dysentery and others due to unhealthy food consumption.
- Treats Gout Arthritis – the guyabano extract contains anti-inflammatory properties that helps you filter and clean purine substances from your body. The toxins accumulate in the joints results an intense pain and can be treated by drinking guyabano extracts or tea on a regular basis.
- Treats Back Pain – a cup of guyabano leaf tea a day can effectively help you in easing your back pain issues that is cause due to aging or having a same position all day.
- Prevents Urinary Tract Infections – guyabano leaf tea contains a high amount of Vitamin C and anti-bacterial properties that can prevent you from the harmful bacteria developing in your urinary tract.
- Cures Constipation – guyabano leaf tea contains a high amount of fiber, Vitamin C and other active properties to help you regulate your bowel movements as well as avoiding you to suffer prolonged constipation or a worst result of hemorrhoids. It is known to be a traditional herbal remedy for constipation.
- Cure Herpes – herpes is a type of virus that usually attack those people with weak immune system. The antiviral properties in the tea can fight those viruses and protect your body from infections that is mostly found in genital or oral areas.
- Promotes Quality Sleep – it has been proven as many people believe that a cup of guyabano leaf tea is a secret to a good sleep and can help you relax and relieves stress and anxiety.
- Preserve Youthful Look – guyabano leaf tea can helps you preserve your beauty due to its ever active antioxidants and Vitamin C to protect your body against the damaging effects of free radicals. The tea will help you stabilize the free radicals to make your age slower in cellular level thus delaying your symptoms of aging.
Guyabano has a lot of health benefits than you’ve imagine it to be, there’s countless list of it actually. Guyabano has been used for centuries and is proven by many in treating and preventing various diseases and health problems but some health practitioners recommended to avoid guyabano due to the risk of neurological side effects. But, people who can’t afford bills in hospitals decided to try a chance in guyabano.
So for the best option, consult your doctor to know it’s right dosage and diagnosis before taking this herbal medicine.
- Link, Rachael. MS. RD. Health Line. 2017. “Soursop (Graviola): Health Benefits and Uses”. 6 October
- McDermott, Annette. Medical News Today. 2017. “What is graviola and how is it used?”. 17 October
- DR HEBEN. “20 Powerful Health Benefits of Guyabano Leaves Tea”.
- RxList. 2019. “Graviola: Health Benefits, Uses, Side Effects”. 18 June
- Xocialhive. “Guyabano Benefits to our Body”.
- Gabrinez, Gemina. 2017. “Cancer Prevention Fruit Called Soursop, Abana or Guavano”. 2 June
- Zentraveler. “Miracle Fruit Guavano”.
Easy Related Posts
Special Arroz Caldo
https://youtu.be/Gs9h5-O2rPs Ingredients: Chicken meat 1 1/2 cup Rice 1 pc onion 5 cloves garlic 2 thumbs ...read more
Super Easy Yema Spread
https://youtu.be/w0Lvzip2tUw Ingredients: 2 pcs. Egg Yolks 1 can of Condensed Milk 1 pack of Cream ...read more
Homemade Tuna Cheesy Pie Using Tasty Bread
https://youtu.be/ZVgWKDvn6dU Ingredients: 1 can of Tuna 2 pcs Eggs 1 cup of Breadcrumbs 5 – ...read more
How to Make Lumpiang Shanghai/Negosyo Recipes
https://youtu.be/EaM236WSOUo Ingredients: 1 kilo of Ground Pork 100 pcs. Lumpia wrapper 2 pcs. Carrot 2 pcs. ...read more