Nothing spells a Filipino party quite like another one of the perennial potluck favorites: a giant bilao full of pancit Malabon. The thick rice noodles are the perfect starch for absorbing the rich and tasty flavor of the bright orange sauce of this recipe, which gets its vibrant color from achuete oil. There’s plenty of delicious toppings as well: tender rings of fresh squid, plump shrimps and sliced hard-boiled eggs for plenty of protein, garlic and green onions to add a little freshness to this savory dish, and of course the secret addition of fish sauce which adds a thickness and complements the seafood flavor of several elements of the pancit malabon. Squeeze a wee bit of calamansi over a plateful of this and top it with some crumbled chicharon, and you’ll have a dish that’s absolutely delightful to serve during festive occasions and huge family gatherings.
- 8 oz Thick Rice Noodles or Cornstarch Noodles
- 1 1/2 pound Shrimps, shelled and deveined, and cooked
- 1 1/2 pound Squid, head separated, body cleaned and sliced
- 3 tablespoons Achuete (Annato) Seeds
- 3-4 stalks Green Onions, sliced fine
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced and fried
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 5 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce or Patis
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 3-4 Eggs, boiled, shelled and cut in wedges
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil
- Boil the noodles in a water for 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are soft but not soggy. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- In a small pan, steep the achuete seeds on the heated oil to extract the color.
- Strain, and leave 1 tablespoon oil on the pan.
- Stir-fry the shrimps and squid for 1-2 minutes, then add a teaspoon of fish sauce. Set aside.
- Using a separate pan, boil the shrimp shells with the water for 3-4 minutes, strain and dispose the shells.
- Thicken with the cornstarch mixture and add the remaining achuete oil.
- Assemble on a plate in this order :Noodles
Easy Related Posts
How to Make PUTONG BIGAS
https://youtu.be/Shn6SqCqx5k INGREDIENTS: 4 cups of rice flour 1 and 1/2 cups of white sugar 2 tsp ...read more
How to Make Kalabasa Dunot Recipe (Healthy Meryenda)
https://youtu.be/LFpiJtsZ1zk Ingredients: ½ whole slice of Kalabasa 1 cup of Powder milk 1 cup Sugar 2 ...read more
Nilupak na Saging na may Royal Soda at Peanut Butter
https://youtu.be/nVl7cnl-r4Y Ingredients. 30 pcs Boiled Saba (Banana) 1/4 kg Sugar 1 bottle Royal Soft drinks 1/4 ...read more
3 in 1 Kopiko PUTO Recipe
https://youtu.be/63jDjJ6RTmM Ingredients 2cups All-Purpose Flour 1 cup Sugar 1½ Tsp Baking Soda 1 Tsp Baking Powder ...read more